My works are surreal dimension visualized by my dreams and reveries of warped space and time. In those space and time, there are discoveries of a question, or statement, the meaning of which cannot be understood by rational thinking but may be accessible through intuition or lateral thinking. Through intuitive experimentation of digital photo painting, juxtaposing different elements from different times — ancient and modern, memory and present, myth and reality, my work aims to express the metaphysical existence of life. Artworks and his philosophy of Pittura Metafisica by Georgio de Chirico as well as Surrealist painter Marc Chagall and Max Ernst had strong influences on my work.
When creating my work, more than 30 original photographs are collaged and painted digitally. Each image element is positioned in order of viewing distance in preparing for 3d imaging process called 3d lenticular prints. 3d lenticular process interwovens multiple image layers into a singular rendering for printing. A lenticular lens, which is a clear flat plastic sheet comprised of extruded clear plastic “ribs” or lenticules, is placed in precise registration on the final printed image for framing. 3d lenticular prints reveal holographic sense of depth when seen from a two to three foot vantage point.
Click on any of the thumbs to see a larger image, then click to the left or right to step through images, or click outside the image to close.
about the artist
Born in USA, and raised in Japan, Hannah received a MFA in Visual Communications from Washington State University, BFA in Visual Communications from Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan. Hannah has worked as a graphic designer in Tokyo, San Francisco, and Pullman, Washington. She lives in south Jersey and teaches Typography and Image, 3D computer graphics, Interactive media courses at Stockton College. She is also a fellow member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. Her work has been included in various group exhibitions, corporate and private collections.
Hannah’s work have received numerous awards including 2011 Award of Excellence and Special Recognitions from the 10th All Media Juried International Art Exhibition (Upstram People Gallery, Omaha, NE);
2009 TOP TEN finalists for the Asian Inspiration Juried Exhibition (ARTROM Gallery, Rome, Italy); and 1997 Excellence Award in AIGA Design for Understanding; and was the three finalists for 1997 Digital Art:The Next Wave Exhibition at the SIGGRAPH, NY. Her prints were included in the book both 4th and 5th Edition of Annual International Contemporary Masters by World Wide Art Books, CA. as well as Graphic Design USA: 18 by AIGA Annual Design Compendium.
- Selected Juried (Competitive) Exhibitions
- 2012, “KOAN, intuitive considerations” ARTROM Gallery, Rome, Italy (Apr.18—June 20)
- 2012, Academy of Fine Arts National Juried Art Exhibition, Fine Arts Gallery, Lynchburg, VA. (Apr. 6—June 28)
- 2011, Juried Photography Exhibition:UNREAL: Staged, Fantasy and Constructed Photography, 1650 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA (Sept 9-)
- 2011, Photo Craft Juried Exhibition, LightBox Photo Gallery, Astoria, OR (August-Oct )
- 2011, Hudson Gallery National Juried Exhibition, Sylvania, OH (March-April ‘11)
- 2011, International Masters IV Exhibition, Southern Nevada Museum of Fine Arts, NV
- 2011, 10th All Media Juried International Art Exhibition ()
- 2010, Women in the Arts Juried Exhibition, ARTROM Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2010, GE’s 4th Annual Asian Pacific Heritage Month Art Exhibition, Stamford, CT
- 2009, Asian Inspiration International Juried Exhibition, ARTROM Gallery, Rome, Italy
- 2009, 8th All Media Juried International Art Exhibition ()
- 2008, Art on the Pedestal Exhibition, PIE Studio Gallery, Jacksonville, FL.
- 2007, All Media Landscape Juried Exhibition, Foundry Art Center, MO.
- 2007, Halpert Biennial ‘07, Turchin Center for the Visual Arts, NC.
- 2006, Contemporary Realism, Fraser Gallery, MD.
- 2006, Annual Works on Paper Juried Show, Philadelphia Sektch Club, PA.
- 2005, Alpan International 2005, Alpan Gallery, Huntington, NY.
- 1998, Third Annual National Juried Exhibition, Ceres Gallery, NY.
- 1997, Design for Understanding 2, AIGA Strathmore Gallery, NYC., NY.
- 1997, Digital Art:The Next Wave Exhibition, SIGGRAPH Albuquerque, NM.
- 1996, Solo Exhibition, International Tenshinzan Gallery, Sapporo, Japan
- 1993, Photospiva, 1993 Juried Exhibition, Spiva Art Center, Joplin, MO.
- 1993, Illuminance 93, Lubbock Fine Arts Center, Lubbock, TX.
- 1993, Women’s Art Works,Greater Rochester Women’s Fund, Rochester,NY.
- 1992, Current Works, Society for Contemporary Photography, Kansas City,MO.